Haunted Tours of Little Rock

Haunted Little Rock Book

Hanger House

The Hanger House Frederick and Frances Hanger moved into their home in 1889 and began remodeling it to create what is now one of Little Rock’s best known and most authentically restored Queen Anne style houses. The Hangers intended to live in the house for the remaining part of their life but tragedy struck in 1900 when Mr. Hanger died in an industrial accident. Mrs. Hanger continued to live in the house until her death in 1945. She would become known as one of Little Rock’s most gracious hostesses. Even in death, Mrs. Hanger apparently prefers to remain in the house, particularly in her old dressing room, and has made herself known to both of the current owners. From the moment they stepped into the doorway, Mrs. Hanger has appeared to both of them. At first, she only appeared to the wife and she felt “crazy” trying to explain the appearance to her husband but then Mrs. Hanger appeared to him. “We just accept it and in a way it’s comforting to know that she is still looking after her home and she never misses a party.”