In 1843, land was donated by Chester Ashley and Roswell Beebe to serve as a public burial place called a cemetery. This was a time when the term “graveyard” was becoming obsolete. It was more inclined to be a park setting with shrubs, park benches and pathways lined with flowers. In fact, the day it opened a picnic was held and lots were sold. Today not much has changed from those early days. We still have picnics and tours. Victorian gravestones and monuments are abundant and this attributes to it’s being a beautiful place to walk into Arkansas history. Eleven governors, legislators and other notable citizens from every walk of life are laid to rest here and that’s why it’s referred to as the “Westminster Abbey of Arkansas”.